Question: Workers in a leaky chemical mixing/packaging (including arsenic-containing substances) building with documented Exserohilum rostratum and leaking roof experienced acute and chronic symptoms similar to arsenic poisoning (usually 1-2 hours after eating/drinking at work): hemorrhagic diarrhea, capillary leakage, abdominal pain, bad taste in mouth, desquamation, gastroenteritis, flu-like symtpoms, burning mouth/tongue, lights seemed brighter and sounds louder, hoarseness, difficulty forming words, thirst, conjunctivitis, and warty/blotchy palms. Could these symptoms be caused by a mycotoxin from additional mold(s) growing in the building? The building is a warehouse with lots of wood for storage areas, carpets, drywall, offices, etc.
Answer: I am not sure if the symptoms you’ve described are related to mold or even mycotoxin poisoning. Though we’re not experts in the area of chemical poisoning, it’s highly likely that this incidence is related to chemical poisoning. An investigation by a toxicologist is highly recommended.