Question: My son and his family live in a small older rental home with a basement. He called me this morning upset because he had seen some type of mold in the basement that was a pink, translucent color and as he looked at it released a puff of spores or something. He continued to watch and the mold/fungi released these spores at intermittent intervals.
Can you give me any idea of what type of mold/fungus this may be and if it is dangerous?
Thank you for your assistance.
Answer: I have no idea what the pink mold could be. Can your son take a good picture of the mold and send it to us by email? The picture might help us guess what the mold could be. Alternatively you could send a sample of the mold to our laboratory for testing. To take a sample, get clear scotch tape and cut 2-3 inches. With the sticky side facing the moldy surface, press the tape gently and then peel off the tape. Without folding, stick the tape onto a plastic bag such as a zip lock bag, place it in a suitable envelope and send it to us. You can find our mailing address at www.moldbacteria.com.